Sinn Féin is calling for a large turnout at a national demonstration against water charges.
The opposition party want the Government to abolish the water charges as part of the next budget.
Sinn Féin claims the water charges are unfair, as they do not take into account a person’s ability to pay.
Earlier this year, the Taoiseach said the upcoming budget will help hard-pressed middle earners.
Sinn Féin Senator David Cullinane, however, said families and workers on low incomes deserve to get something back.
he government’s water services policy is a complete and utter failure. It is now clear that the vast majority of people reject water charges and they rightly see Irish Water for the absolute shambles that it is.
“Enda Kenny and Joan Burton seem content to drive forward with their disastrous water policy at all costs,” he said.
“[Legislation] will allow the government to take unpaid water charges from the wages and social protection payments of struggling families. They did this with complete disregard for the financial pressures that have been placed upon people by their austerity and cuts.”
He also referred to news of impending charges against a number of water protesters involved in an incident with the Tánaiste last year as an “attempt to intimidate” the anti-water campaign.
“The government’s water charges debacle warrants a massive public response. Sinn Féin is calling on people from every community across Ireland to come out in their droves and support the Right2Water National Demonstration on August 29.”